font family: 'Shadows', cursive;

Friday 20 June 2014

Faith Filled Fridays: Giving up.

I'm really not one for giving up. I'm all for giving it the "college try," or "giving it your all." Occasionally, taking the later a little too literally. Lately, I've really been noticing the toll that "giving everything I've got" is taking on me. Mentally, emotionally, relationally, you name it, it's suffering. I constantly find myself trying to be everything to everyone.
 
I am trying to be what I think everyone else expects me to be. Wait, what?
 
And then I realized that isn't even an expectation; it's a false belief that I've conjured up based (certainly incorrectly) on what I believe others think in relation to my actions. In other words, Satan.
 
I don't know about you, but when it's dark I turn on the lights. So it only makes sense that when I recognize the devil, I turn to God.
 
"Do not run until your feet are bare and your throat is dry. But you said, ‘It’s no use! I love foreign gods, and I must go after them.’" Jeremiah 2:25
In choosing to relentlessly pursue these earthly endeavors, I'm not only "running my feet bare," but also creating and worshiping false gods. Just like God doesn't require anything from us in exchange for His love, he also doesn't require us to work ourselves to our last breath to keep it.
 
Today I'm giving up. I'm no longer giving my whole self to anything but the pursuit of Christ. My prayer for you, is that you too, would find the courage to just give up. Amen.
 
Have a blessed and happy weekend friends!
 
xo, A

2 comments :